Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So Close to Mobile!

Captain here. Sorry it's been so long since an update, but we've been out in the middle of nowhere, and internet has been scarce.
We have been hauling ass down the river this week! Our shortest day was the first one out of Demopolis, and that was 30 miles. The rest have been 40+ mile days. We've anchored twice on the side of the river. The first one was shallow (depthfinder showed 3-4 feet, which made me nervous), but turned out okay. The next night, we rafted together on the side of the river. Five tugs came by us and a couple of them rocked us pretty hard. Adventure! So there were 2 restless nights in a row. Yesterday, we passed by 7 barges! And it was a really curvy section of river, so things were a little tense a couple of time. "Whoa, there's a barge!" Then we'd call them and duck out of their way. Sometimes we'd go right where the told us to, and it would look like they were aiming for us! But then they'd make their turn, and we'd be safe. But it's enough to make one uncomfortable. I'm just sayin'.
The problem with going so long between blogs is that I don't remember what happened. Or at least when they happened. Chronological order is a challenge.
We've got fishing boats circling around us, yelling things. These bayou rednecks are extra crazy. Cue the banjo!
That wasn't very nice. I get cranky when I'm hungry, and it's almost dinner time. Yay dinner!
Speaking of dinner, tomorrow is Thanksgiving. This is going to be the strangest Thanksgiving I've ever had. Mom isn't in the middle of making her 8-10 pumpkin pies. There's not a giant turkey in the fridge. The normal huge family dinner isn't happening. Well, my brothers and their families are doing Thanksgiving, but
we're not going to be there! And Mike is cooking the turkey in Mom's place. So weird. However, my BFF London is down here in Mobile, so I'll get to see her tomorrow. She threatened to cook dinner for us tomorrow night, since her family is doing big Thanksgiving Friday. She's so awesome! Can't wait to see my BFF!
We'll be in a marina the next 2 nights, possibly 3 (depends on the weather Saturday). That means showers! And internet! I love marinas, love them. But they cost money. So we don't stay in them any more than we need to.
And we're almost to salt water! Salt water! We're in brackish water right now, a mixture of salt and fresh water. It's a little less muddy than the water we've been in the last 3 weeks. You can almost see a whole foot down! Can't wait to get to clear water, where you can see the bottom, even if it's 10, 20, 30 feet down! So excited!
I feel like I've babbled. That's okay. Maybe I'll have more order to my thoughts in my next blog. I was hoping to post pictures, but our internet is too slow tonight. Tomorrow, there will be pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment