Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Eating Our Way Around Marathon

It's been a week and a half since the last blog.  And not much has happened.  I kinda like it that way.

Dad and I played softball Sunday the 16th.  Not the best idea.  I pulled a groin muscle, and Dad hurt things (wrist, knee, and leg, I think).  With our better halves out of town, we were quite a pitiful pair.  So the grand idea of spending 3 days a week playing softball went out the window.  In spite of our injuries, we did manage to get out of the boats enough to check out some of the restaurants we'd been meaning to try.  (The grocery store was way too far to walk, so eating out was the only solution.  That's what we told ourselves anyway.)  And boy, are there some great restaurants around here!  And reasonably priced (we don't do expensive restaurants).  We went to 25-cent wing night at the Hurricane, had burgers at the ChikiTiki (dinghied down to that one), and got pizza (before bingo) at Upper Crust.  We were doing this for Mom and Trevor, of course.  We wanted to check out places so they wouldn't be disappointed in any dinners (or lunches).  Lunch is definitely the time to eat out.  Several places have $5 lunch specials (I do love a $5 lunch special).  I love that stuff!

Oh, and the Gallians (Andrew and Mary-Stuart) came to visit us.  They took us out to an amazing little restaurant called the Butterfly Cafe.  Excellent food.  Fancy stuff.  We were stuffed when we left!  And delicious sangria! 

I also managed to get some work done on the boat while Trevor was away.  I scraped the ugly caulk off most of the windows on the starboard side and resealed them with clear silicone.  It looks so much better!  And keeps water out better, too!  I also put the hatch over the v-berth back together.  It was toppled upon earlier in the trip and suffered a pretty nasty break.  And it's not a part that can just be replaced; the boat is over 30 years old.  So it was fix it or get a whole new hatch (this involves cutting out the cabin top and all kinds of awful work we don't want to do).  Well, I took the 5-minute quick-cure epoxy and gooed that thing until it had no choice but to hold!  It's been through some mighty winds, and it's still holding up, so I have hope.  I managed to reattach a couple of wires that had come loose in the engine compartment (don't know what they were).  Fixing the wires didn't seem to accomplish much, but I'm sure they needed to be fixed anyway.  I also attacked the ceiling with vinegar and vanquished some black stuff (mildew, maybe, and years' worth of grimy fingerprints that had accumulated on the nonskid [side note: why is there nonskid on the cabin ceiling?  We'll never walk there. I hope.]).  Yikes, punctuation overload right there.

Lots of work, lots of play, and lots of eating.  We were ready for our sweeties to come home.  Trevor came back yesterday, and brought Thaddeus with him!  Yay!  So great to see both of them!  We've been having fun (hard to not have fun when the cheesy-joke-making Thaddeus is around).  Enjoyed Taco Night at the Hurricane (dollar tacos and $3.50 margaritas) last night.  Wow, great margaritas!  And I know margaritas.  Today we had lunch at the Stuffed Pig.  Meh.  That was the most disappointing meal we've had the entire time we've been here.  Food was mediocre, and the service matched.  Oh well, I guess they can't all be winners.

Oh yeah, and Saturday was the Health Fair.  I think I'll live a few more years.  Blood pressure, weight, etc. are fine.  My eyesight is about what I expected (no glaucoma, either!).  And the dermatologist doesn't think I have skin cancer.  Good news all around!  Then we ate at Keys Fisheries!  This is a very no-frills establishment.  But it's always busy, so it's gotta be good (great online reviews, too).  And the food was quite good.  I would definitely eat there again (lots of menu choices, so we'll have to go back).

A storm moved through last night.  Thaddeus must have brought the bad weather with him.  This was the first heavy rain we've had in a while.  So it put my newly-sealed windows to the test (win!).  The dinghy had ankle-deep water in it this morning, but Trevor took care of it (he's so good like that).  We took Thaddeus to Daffy Doug's.  We'll be going to the grocery store in a little bit to get dinner for tonight (fajitas!).

Life goes on in the Keys.  The wind blows (all the freakin' time).  We're hoping the weather clears up enough for us to go scuba diving at some point this week.  That's all the update I have today.  Lots of babble for nothing very exciting (except it's very windy here, did I mention that?).  One of these days I'll get my camera out and take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment