Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Less than Three Weeks to Departure

Captain's Log:
(Decided we need to identify which of us is updating the blog. Trevor said he would contribute, as I've really been slacking off with the updates lately. So he might pop in with an update sometimes.)
Just a month since the last update, so I'm getting better. Sort of. There just haven't been a lot of exciting developments lately. But here goes anyway.
Bottom step is now secure! It no longer slides out from under you when you step on it. Tricksey little thing, I showed it! Now it's a bit ugly, but definitely solid. Most of my carpentry work on the boat is ugly but solid. It's my specialty.
Speaking of carpentry work. I finished the shelf in the kitchen. It's sectioned off and has dowels on the front of each section to hold things in when the boat leans. A picture would show what I'm talking about, but I haven't bothered to take a picture yet. Also, it's not very pretty. And I've got the toilet secured in case of rough seas. Very important that the toilet not flip over! That would make for a bad day. What else? I've done tons of mediocre carpentry work over the last few weeks: mounted CD player and VHF radio, built a box for one of the stereo speakers (so we can take it outside), added a shelf in the galley cabinet, put up a door for the bathroom, fit a piece of wood into a hole in the galley counter (it had curved corners - extra degree of difficulty), and I made seat backs for the settee seats in the cabin. Lots of little things that took a lot of time, but don't look great and are not interesting to read about.
Oh, and we got the main sail repaired. Looks pretty good. Haven't taken it out sailing yet (we've been too busy working on the boat and visiting with people before we leave), but I think it'll hold up nicely. As long as we don't use it in really strong winds. I replaced the main sheet and made an eye splice in it (I'll get good at those one day).
Tried out the new hammock last week. It's awesome!
This week I have to finish all my little work projects. Then next week will be moving things onto the boat and finding creative ways of putting them away. There's a lot of storage space on the boat, but most of it isn't very convenient. I think it's going to take weeks (if not months) to get everything where we really like it. Trevor and I are both Tetris masters, so we'll be able to fit a ton of stuff into that tiny space. It's just a matter of getting it out again.
I think that's about all for now. We'll be heading out November 1, and I'll learn to put pictures on here before then. Almost adventure time!

No comments:

Post a Comment